5 paid DLC characters will be sold for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, following the release of Piranha Plant (who I love) and ending by February of 2020.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate’s DLC line-up is now complete. This time the selection was made entirely by Nintendo. I decide if we can create a fighter based on their selection, then come up with the plan.
— 桜井 政博 (@Sora_Sakurai) November 6, 2018
Nintendo has already decided who these 5 characters will be and, rudely, they neglected to consult me.
If Nintendo had allowed me to decide on the 5 DLC characters, they would be:
- Ray MK III: The main robot from Custom Robo. I’m glad to see Ray has been getting some love from the Smash Bros. team, and has appeared in various entries as a trophy, sticker, assist trophy, and (in 21 days) as a Mii Fighter costume. Sadly, the Custom Robo series is one of the most overlooked and under-appreciated Nintendo franchises. Adding him as a playable fighter would likely ignite a spark of interest in Custom Robo, just like Marth & Roy did for Fire Emblem. His moveset has unlimited potential, thanks to any number of parts and weapons the developers could pull from (that is what makes this robo custom, after all)!
- Shovel Knight: Big props to Yacht Club Games for getting their hero represented in Ultimate as an Assist Trophy, but an even better indie success story would be if Shovel Knight joined the front-lines of the battle. Shovel Knight may be “third party” like Snake and Sonic, but he also has close ties to Nintendo thanks to an entire line of amiibo and strong platform support. Shovel Knight would not look out of place, and has moves that can easily be mapped to the Smash fighter template by anyone with a little imagination.
- Waluigi: I don’t care much about this one personally, but why not! Appease the fans! This is the Ultimate entry in the franchise after all, so why wouldn’t Nintendo throw their most dedicated players a bone and get it over with? This has to be the single most requested character since Ridley, and I doubt Sakurai wants to keep hearing fans beg for Waluigi for the next decade. This will be Wario’s third game in the series, so it’s about time for his purple cohort to join the fray.
- Paper Mario & Paper Luigi: We already have access to two variations of Mario, so a third would seem like overkill… unless it’s an Echo Fighter duo of Paper Mario and Luigi! Mr. Game & Watch proves that flat characters work, and the Paper Mario games speak for themselves as far as moveset potential. This addition would be perfect for fans of Luigi, who don’t always want to deal with his crazy physics and janky momentum.
- Fortnite Dude: Just imagine it. A crossover between Super Smash Bros. and Fortnite would shake the gaming industry! There’s no other collaboration that would turn the heads of the masses. Fortnite continues to be the hottest game for the younger demographic now that Minecraft has started to plateau. I would absolutely love to see one more 3rd party addition in a Fortnite character, who would naturally have the best costume selection and taunts in the game. Attacks wouldn’t be limited to guns, but could also include pickaxe melee moves, boogie bombs that cause opponents to taunt, a glider recovery, and maybe even a little building action!
Which of my picks do you agree with? More importantly, who do you want to see join the SSBU roster? Scroll down to the comments and type away!