You could say that the fanbase is “mildly upset” to “PASSIONATELY AND VEHEMENTLY ENRAGED” that Waluigi has not been announced as a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate character yet.
Case in point…
It’s great to dream about your favorite character joining the battle and I appreciate your passion, but please try to stay on topic when replying to tweets and refrain from flooding us, and other users, with requests when we’re not specifically asking for feedback. Thank you!
— 桜井 政博 (@Sora_Sakurai) November 7, 2018
Daddy Sakurai has spoken. So, do we need to tone it down a little bit with requesting Waluigi? Yes… and no.
- ✅ DO express your excitement about Nintendo, Super Smash Bros., and your favorite characters.
- ✅ DO talk about your character wishes with other fans and on social media.
- ✅ DO hold on to hope. Ridley was requested for 15 years before being added as a playable fighter.
- ❌ DON’T @ Nintendo employees about your wants. That crosses a bit of a boundary and really doesn’t accomplish anything.
- ❌ DON’T (and I know this hurts you to read) expect Waluigi soon. As evidenced by Ridley, fans CAN impact the course of a game series, but the precedent shown is that it takes over a decade. Waluigi’s groundswell of support is relatively new, and I say that as a Nintendo fandom veteran. If not this time, maybe next?
- ❌ DON’T let disappointment ruin your enjoyment. The Super Smash Bros. series has always offered hundreds of hours of fun, even back in the day when the roster capped out at 12 characters. One omission should not occupy your mind to the point where you cannot enjoy all 75 other characters!
So, are you one of the purple mustachioed villain’s diehard supporters? Or could you not care less if he made it onto the roster? I’m curious—comment below!