You know that a game is a big deal when you start planning your schedule around its launch…
- How many days am I going to take off work?
- What’s the earliest possible time I can purchase this game? Does the eShop update at the stroke of midnight? Should I drive to another timezone?
- Should I say goodbye to my family just in case I can’t turn the game off?
Those are the kind of considerations I have to make when preparing for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to come out on December 7th!
I’ll talk more about my specific plans for launch day as it comes closer, but today I’m reflecting on my normal gaming habits, and how the release of a monumental title like Smash might affect them.
- Indies, hop in the back-burner. And I apologize for this one, because I love supporting independent games… Simeon and I usually take turns working through the latest eShop indie adventure during our breaks at work, but we’re absolutely going to convert that time into Smash sparring! Sure, we might look a little dorky with our screen on the table and a mess of wires draped everywhere in some crazy workaround to use GameCube controllers in tabletop mode, but who cares? And yeah, our coworkers might look up from their phones to cast disparaging looks at Simeon each time he cries out in agony when I secure victory after victory, but they’ll have to deal with it.
- Fortnite, it’s been great, but I’ll see you later. Fortnite captivated me with its ingenious design, compelling gameplay loop, and constant stream of content additions. It’s been the absolute best game to unwind with on a daily basis, whether I’m feeling competitive and want to go for that Victory Royale, or if I want to take it easier and knock out a few challenges. It passed up my Breath of the Wild hour-count, then doubled it(!), firmly securing the position of my most-played Switch game. And that’s not a position that Smash Ultimate is going to allow Fortnite to keep. I’m just getting to the point of being a bit Fortnite’d out (even though I know they’re going to try and pull me back in with new weapons and modes), so I’m ready for something fresh and exciting! I want to master a few characters, climb the online ladder, and dive really deep into SSBU.
- Also goodbye sleep. I’ve been pretty good about not taking my Switch into the bedroom, but let’s be honest; that’s not gonna last. Not until every character and stage is unlocked, at least!
Yep, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is poised to wreck my gaming life (and perhaps a bit of my personal life too). What about you? Do you see any gaming habits changing? Leave a reply!
Latest posts by Scott (see all)
- Savor It Scott's Thoughts: Smash Ultimate is HERE! - 12/07/2018
- My Release Night Plans Scott's Thoughts: 1 Day to Smash Ultimate - 12/06/2018
- TBC 016: Custom Robo Retrospective - 12/05/2018